caramel apple tart
caramel apple tart
makes 1 9-inch tart and 1 1/2 quarts ice cream. from bon appétit magazine. UPDATE: i originally wrote that the crust called for 1 cup butter. it should be 1/2 cup butter. it has been corrected below.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/4 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c sugar
1/4 c water
1/4 c heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
6 Tbsp flour
6 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c pecans, toasted (optional)
3 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
cinnamon ice cream
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 c heavy whipping cream, divided
1 1/2 c whole milk
3/4 c sugar
pinch of salt
1tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. make the crust: beat the butter in a medium bowl until smooth. add sugar, egg yolk and salt; beat until blended. add flour and beat just until dough begins to clump together. gather dough into ball and flatten into a disk. press into bottom and up sides of 9 inch tart pan. pierce crust all over with fork. freeze crust for 30 minutes. preheat the oven to 375F. bake crust until golden brown and baked through, about 30 minutes. cool crusts in pan on wire rack. can be made 1 day ahead – store airtight in pans at room temperature.
2. make the caramel sauce: combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a heavy medium saucepan. stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber, occasionally brushing down pan sides with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystallization, and swirling pan, about 6 minutes. remove pan from heat. add cream, then butter and salt. the mixture will bubble. stir vigorously until smooth. can be made 1 day ahead – cover and chill. to rewarm, place on medium-low heat until just pourable.
3. make the filling: whisk brown sugar and cornstarch in a bowl to blend. melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. add apple pieces and saute until almost tender, about 10 minutes. add brown sugar mixture; stir until sugar dissolves, then add vanilla, whiskey (optional) and cinnamon. simmer until juices are bubbling and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. remove from heat and cool completely.
4. make the crumb topping: blend flour, brown sugar and salt in a food processor. add pecans (optional) and blend until coarsely chopped. add butter and process just until small moist clumps form. can be made 1 day ahead – cover and chill.
5. assemble the tart: preheat the oven to 375F. place the tart crust on a baking sheet (in case filling bubbles over during baking). pour caramel sauce on crust and spread to cover. spoon the apple filling down over the caramel sauce and top with the crumb topping. bake until apple filling is bubbling and topping is crisp and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. cool 5 minutes, then carefully loosen crust from sides of pan with a small sharp knife and remove the pan sides. cool 10 minutes more before cutting and serving.
6. make the ice cream: whisk egg yolks to blend in medium metal bowl. pour 1 cup cream into another medium bowl; set fine strainer over bowl with cream. whisk milk, sugar, pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup cream in heavy medium saucepan; bring to simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg yolks. return mixture to same saucepan and stir constantly over medium-low heat until custard thickens slightly and instant-read thermometer reads 160F-170F, about 5 minutes.
7. pour custard through strainer set on bowl over cream. whisk mixture to blend; vanilla and cinnamon. chill custard until cold, about 2 hours. process custard in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. transfer ice cream to container; cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.